Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pain

only drink water.

My urine comes out neon yellow and stains the toilet.

I turn on the shower and vomit bile all over the tub, shower curtain, and toilet.

I hang my head in the toilet for two hours.

I do a line off the rim of the toilet and am able to walk to my bed.

I ask for another Valium and wake up three hours later to evening.

I am the son and heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar.

-The Smiths

I was a part of a problem that I couldn't control. I couldn't speak or move in the presence of others and I would shake like an epileptic when any attention was paid to me.

I used to blame caffeine and alcohol, but I know otherwise.

In the presence of others, the simple act of receiving change from the purchase of a box of cigarettes would turn into a drawn out fit of hysteria in which a nickel falling into my hand felt like hours that I couldn't escape from.

I would lay plans for coffee, the cable man, and my manager in which I would say "panic attack" and exit promptly.

The worst was eye exams and haircuts; where people would concentrate all of their efforts on me.

I'm sure many an optometrist and beautician felt that I was some vagrant drunk in the fits of delirium tremens and expressed the tabletop story to friends in neat paragraphs that ended with "know what was wrong with him."

No comments: