Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Corine

Corine

The rain comes down slowly and I look up at another customer. He's upset about the conditioner he bought for his hair and I'm having trouble concentrating on what he's saying.
Something about how he's late to work and how this is the third time something has happened. My nose starts bleeding and I'm now...I'm floating away.
I'm in college and I need a C average to graduate. I start playing this video game and I lose track of time, but I miss my test.
It's 2.30, and I'm coming to. I'm in the break room and I say "what a good day," because I'm happy to not be missing my test from the dream.
I'm discussing what happened now with my boss and he seems concerned.
"You just logged off." He says.
"Good bye." I say back and I feel it come on again.
It's raining in my dream and I'm gardening out in this English green house. I begin thinking about a recipe I once had to make in high school. It was something with mustard and my boyfriend at the time kept calling me Ms. Mustard.
I stop gardening and pause to read a book, but none of the letters make any sense, like I'm dyslexic.
"You can't work with pink roses!" I'm shouting as I wake up.
The rain is still dropping outside, but I'm in a car. There's a sticker on the back window that says "Girl Power."
"Are you OK?" Someone asks me. I think I'm OK.
We pass by my dead brother. He's standing in the middle of the street and I wave.
"What is Tom doing in the middle of the road?"
"Whose Tom?" I realize now that it's Patty from Bakery.
"It's in a dream, I think." My nose starts bleeding again, but I don't pass out.
"What's in a dream?"
"I think we're in a dream."
"Honey, I'm taking you to the hospital."
"Not until I finish my book!" I can't seem to understand what I need to tell Patty, but it keeps coming out all wrong. I'm passing out again and I don't think I'm going to wake up.

No comments: